Interview the ESSR Education Committee Chairperson
Miraude Adriaensen, MD, PhD, MSc, EDiMSK
• When and why was the Educational Committee of the ESSR founded?
The Educational Committee of the ESSR was founded on the 1st of January 2003. The vision and ethos of the committee is to enhance the profile and recognition of subspecialist musculoskeletal radiology throughout Europe through promoting standards of excellence in education and training. The ESSR diploma programme was started to address the growing need for MSK subspecialisation in Europe. Successful candidates are awarded the “Diploma of Musculoskeletal Radiology”. And may add the title “European Diploma in Musculoskeletal Radiology” abbreviated to EDiMSK to their names. The title is active and allowed to be used until the expiration date of the diploma.
• How did you get involved in the ESSR Educational Committee?
As I was already following MSK courses to subspecialize in MSK radiology, I decided to participate in the ESSR diploma programme to receive an international certification and recognition as MSK radiologist. At that time, professor Vanhoenacker was responsible for the logistics of the diploma. In 2010, I received the diploma of the European Society of Musculoskeletal Radiology. And in 2011 professor Vanhoenacker invited me to join the ESSR Educational Committee. After my illustrious predecessors i.e. professor H Imhof (2003-2006), professor F Vanhoenacker (2006-2009), professor P. Robinson (2009-2012), and professor C. Martinoli (2012-2018, I was invited by the ESSR Executive Committee to serve as the chair of the ESSR Educational Committee (2018-2021).
• What are the main tasks and responsibilities of the ESSR Educational Committee?
- Managing the Diploma of the European Society of Musculoskeletal Radiology
- Actively providing MSK examination questions for the EDiR (European Diploma in Radiology)
- Co-directing the ESSR Webinar Program
- Representing the ESSR in the Educational Committee of the ESR (European Society of Radiology)
- Regularly updating the chapters of the European Training Curricula for Radiology related to musculoskeletal radiology
- Participating in the Evaluation Committee of the Exchange Program for Musculoskeletal Radiology Fellowship of the ESOR
(European School of Radiology)
- Ex-officio member of the ESSR’s ‘Young Club’
• How much work is involved being the chair of the ESSR Educational Committee?
Being the chair of the ESSR Educational Committee involves answering many emails from the ESSR office. For example: to approve courses eligible for the ESSR diploma programme, to answer all types of questions sent to the office with regard to Education and the diploma, and to check if potential diploma candidates fulfil the eligibility criteria.
Furthermore, coordinating and organizing the diploma exam sessions is very time consuming. Even finding a time slot during the ECR or the ESSR when enough examiners will be available turned out to be a challenge.
• What do you think will the future bring?
I foresee a bright future for the Diploma of Musculoskeletal Radiology. The best proof of which is seeing holders of the Diploma of Musculoskeletal Radiology add EDiMSK behind their names in official communications. Due to the pandemic, we have not started yet to actively promote the diploma but the number of candidates applying is still increasing. We also receive applications from candidates working in non-European countries so the diploma is becoming a worldwide recognized qualification of excellence in MSK radiology.
• When is the next exam?
Taking into account that an onsite-examination is preferred, we do not want to increase the exam costs, with the current proctoring software there are still ethical issues with regard to using personal webcams and phones to ‘spy’ on people, the vaccinations have started worldwide, and the ECR 2022 is planning to be an on-site event, the ESSR Educational Committee has decided that we in principle are planning the next EDiMSK exam on-site during the ECR 2022.
DOWNLOAD HERE the promotional slide on the ESSR Diploma
Finally, I would like to express my sincere thanks to all former chairs of the ESSR Educational Committee, to the ESSR office and to the current members of the ESSR Educational Committee for their help, enthusiasm and time dedicated to the work of the ESSR Educational Committee.
Interview Date: April 2021